Monday, February 27, 2012

The Ceremony

Our wedding day crept up on us slowly, and after nearly ten months of organizing, emailing, sampling, and scheming, all of our hard work was about to be put on display. This alone was somewhat of a nerve-wracking thing... To show all of your friends and family your particular design and fashion aesthetics; musical taste - and in Jared's case, talent; and theological and personal ideas about marriage (and therefore, Christ and the church). Wedding ceremonies (and of course, receptions) are extremely personal, which is a large part of the fun, but also a little bit scary. For me, I felt like I was really putting myself out there.



For pew decorations, we evenly spaced flowers in mason jars and wire holders along the aisle.



I have a slight obsession with yellow craspedia, aka billy balls, so we used them as boutineers for our ushers and musicians. I just loved loved loved them.

For communion, Jared brought some yummy sourdough bread and grape juice. It was delicious, of course, but very chewy. It was hilarious trying to chew it as quickly as we could during the ceremony!



These programs were the direct result of hours of formatting, folding, gluing, and tying. There is no way that I could have done it without the precious help from Jared, my mom, my sister, my bridesmaid Elizabeth, her fiance Joseph, and my Aunt Rosie. Once we had all of the materials, we spent about two hours assembling them together at my parents' house. The finished product was a slight alteration of the template given here.



As you might have noticed, the color palette of the wedding was purple, yellow, and gray. I chose these colors because anyone who knows me can tell you how much I LOVE purple, and yellow is Jared's favorite color. It seemed natural to use our favorite colors for our wedding, but I was a little bit worried that the combination of the two would end up looking like a high school pep rally. The combination was not particularly easy to work with and caused a few headaches. Luckily, I had very talented vendors who knew how to use both colors with finesse and taste! 


Jared and I had recently attended the beautiful surprise anniversary party of our friends, Chris and Christine Hoover, where they renewed their wedding vows in front of their family and friends. As soon as Jared and I heard them speak their vows to each other, we fell in love. The Hoovers we so so so kind to us and let us use their vows in our wedding!

In case you were wondering, here they are! We both said the first and last parts, but the middle sections were specific to either Jared or me.

As we walk together, I believe that whether God allows riches or poverty, sickness or health, peace or persecution, He will work everything for our good, as He promised. And in all these things I will stand with you as we become more than conquerors through Him who loves us.
 (Jared said): As your leader, I will nurture and cherish you as my own self, giving you the care, support and encouragement you need to help you fulfill your potential and be all the woman our Lord intended you to be. 
(I said): Jared, I promise to continue to walk with God and to develop the beauty of a gentle spirit. I will encourage you and always seek to be a helper to you. 
Through the power of the Holy Spirit, my love for you will be patient and kind, not jealous or boastful, arrogant or rude. I will not insist on my own way, or be irritable or resentful. I will keep no record of wrongs, but will rejoice in the truth. My love for you will always protect, always trust, always hope, always endure. Throughout our life together, you are my beloved and my friend.



We are so blessed to have such talented musicians as friends. Nate and Jake Kornegay played what I've heard was a seriously cool prelude. I wish I could have heard it! That's probably the only drawback of being the bride... I had to wait outside while they played! They also played "Mystery" by Charlie Hall during our communion time. Chris Wommack, our friend and pianist, played a couple of hymns arranged by Sufjan Stevens for the processional. Chris Hoover, in addition to letting us borrow his wedding vows, led an arrangement of "In Christ Alone" and "Solid Rock" by none other than Mr. Jared Longoria!











We were so fortunate to have our friend Toney Upton officiate our wedding for us! Here, Toney is praying for us just before we begin our marriage with communion.


Jared is over a foot taller than me, so when the time for the big kiss came, I had to stand on my toes (like always). Jared and I were both surprised by how much people laughed at this because we are so used to it!


This was such a special day to us. Thank you to everyone who was involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment